2018 Macon Film Festival Submissions Is Now Open
You're interested in submitting a film to the 2018 Macon Film Festival, but you're not sure exactly what that means or what process your film will go through. We understand that submitting to film festivals can sometimes be a big unknown so our festival Screenings & Submissions Committee has created a step by step guide of what the submission process entails. Stay tuned for upcoming submission deadlines.
STEP ONE - SUBMITTING
Choose a submission option. This year the festival is providing filmmakers with two options for film submission.
Before submitting your film make sure it has all required information. Submitted films will not be screened until submission files are complete.
Online Submission Requirements
- Completed online FilmFreeway or Withoutabox submission including the items listed below.
- Online Screener (all screeners should be uploaded directly to FilmFreeway or Withoutabox)
- Submission Contact (Name, E-Mail, Phone)
- (2) Digital Stills from the Submitted Film
- Film Synopsis
- Total Run Time
- Country of Origin
- Valid Student ID (Student Shorts submissions only)
- Submission Fee
Digital stills and online student ids can be e-mailed directly to the festival’s Screenings & Submissions Committee at email@example.com. Please make sure to include your assigned submission codes when e-mailing stills or student ids.
- Call for Submissions Opens: September 5th
- Earlybird Deadline: October 6th
- Regular Deadline: January 26th
- Late Deadline: February 26th
- Extended Deadline: March 30th
- Notificate Date: June 15th
Important Items to Know When Submitting
- Each entry must be a separate submission. If you select more than one category for your film you must pay the full entry fee for each category.
- To qualify for the 2018 Macon Film Festival submissions must have been completed after May 31, 2016. Submissions completed prior to May 31, 2016 will not be accepted.
- All official selection films selected to be in competition for the 2018 festival will not be eligible to receive screening fees and compete for festival prize money.
- A total of two copies of each official selection film will be required for festival exhibition purposes. One of the copies can be a digital file, but at least one of the copies must be a hard copy. Blu-ray is preferred but NTSC DVDs are also accepted.
- If your film is selected as an official selection film the cost of shipping hard copies of screeners to the Festival must be paid by the entrant. Collect or COD shipments will not be accepted.
- All international entries must be sent with all transportation charges, duties, and taxes prepaid by the shipper. Fees charged to the Macon Film Festival will be refused. Be sure to include the proper customs documentation required by your shipping service.
STEP TWO - SUBMISSION SCREENING PROCESS
Once a film completes the submission process it is assigned to a committee of festival screeners who will view the film and score it based on various criteria. Festival screeners are comprised of filmmakers, industry professionals, and festival supporters from around the country.
- Cinematography/ Visuals
- Sound Design/Music Score
- Overall Pacing
To view a sample score sheet for NARRATIVE films click here.
To view a sample score sheet for DOCUMENTARY films click here.
STEP THREE - SELECTING OFFICIAL SELECTION FILMS
Once the submission screening process is complete the festival’s Screenings & Submissions Committee averages each film’s screener scores and selects the highest scoring films in each category to be a 2018 official selection film.
After a film is selected to be an official selection film filmmakers will begin to receive regular e-mail blasts from the festival programmer with festival updates, screener requirements, travel information, marketing opportunities, and other festival information.
STEP FOUR - JUROR PROCESS/AWARD BREAKDOWN
The highest scoring official selection films from each category are sent to a select group of professional jurors who will score the winning films. Festival jurors are comprised of filmmakers, industry professionals, film professors, and representatives from other film festivals.
The 2017 festival winners will be announced during the festival on Saturday, July 22nd before that evening’s Special Screening. Filmmakers do not need to be present to win.
- The Melvyn Douglass 'Best in Show' Award: $1500.00
- Best of 'Music' Category: $1200.00
- Best of 'Georgia Made' Category: $1200.00
- Best of 'Narrative Feature' Category : $1000.00
- Best of 'Narrative Shorts' Category: $800.00
- Best of 'Documentary'' Category: $1000.00
- Best of 'LGBT' Category: $800.00
- Best of 'Virtual Reality Shorts' Category: $500.00
- Best of 'Student Shorts' Category: $500.00
- The Karen Black Audience Choice - Narrative Feature: $500.00
- Audience Choice - Narrative Short: $500.00
- Audience Choice – Documentary (Feature or Short): $500.00
STEP FIVE - POST FESTIVAL
The 2018 official selection films are placed in festival archives once the festival is complete. Filmmakers requesting return shipment of screeners will have them mailed the week after the festivals. Filmmakers must provide self-addressed stamped envelopes for return shipment.
If you still have questions about the 2018 Macon Film Festival submission process feel free to e-mail the festival's Screenings & Submissions Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.